The University of North Carolina at Charlotte encourages members of the community to use the resources of the J. Murrey Atkins Library. If you are not a member of the faculty, staff, or student body, you may still check out books by obtaining a Community Borrower card.
The library requires a 49er card for entry between the hours of midnight and 7:30 am on the days that the library is open 24 hours.
Who may apply?
Any individual who is 18 years of age or older and current North Carolina resident. Proof of residency requires a valid driver's license and address (not a P.O. Box number).
What does it cost?
The cost is $50.00 per year. There is a charge of $5 for replacing a lost Community Borrower card.
How do I apply?
A Community Borrower card may be purchased from the Circulation Desk located on the first floor of the J. Murrey Atkins Library.
Who can use the card?
Only the person to whom it has been issued may use a Community Borrower card. You must present both your driver's license and the Community Borrower card at the time of checkout.
What are the usage guidelines?
- A maximum of six items can be checked out at any time.
- The guaranteed loan period is 21 days. All items are subject to recall by another user.
- If item is not overdue and has not been recalled, it may be renewed a maximum of 2 times by calling the Circulation Desk at 704-687-0491.
- Community Borrowers are not eligible to recall an item that has been checked out to another patron.
- Fines on overdue recalled items are $1.00 per day.
- Community Borrowers are not eligible for the Interlibrary Loan Service.
- Community Borrowers are not eligible for the book retrieval service.
- Cards must be renewed yearly.