Accessibility Navigation:

Stanbrook Abbey Press Collection

Filing title: 
Stanbrook Abbey Press Collection

Guide to the Stanbrook Abbey Press collection
MS0039

Summary Information

Repository
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Creator
Stanbrook Abbey. Press.
Title
Stanbrook Abbey Press collection
ID
MS0039
Date [inclusive]
1959-1963
Extent
10.0 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
7 items.
Language
English
Abstract
Publications of the Stanbrook Abbey Press, a monastic press established by Friar Laurence Shepherd in Worcester, England in 1876, and operated by the nuns of the English Benedictine Congregation. The publications feature hand-set printing on handmade papers, and were sometimes illuminated.

Preferred Citation note

Stanbrook Abbey Press Collection. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Stanbrook Abbey was originally built as a contemplative house for Benedictine nuns. It was founded in 1625 in Cambrai, Flanders, then part of the Spanish Netherlands, under the auspices of the English Benedictine Congregation. The English Benedictine Congregation later re-located to Wass in the North York Moors National Park. The Abbey is famous for its printing shop and well known for its technical excellence. From the very beginning, it was dedicated to the art of fine printing and perfection in typographical design. These standards developed from the Benedictine philosophy that work is a pure form of worship, and that the products of work are the supreme expression of the praise of God. The Stanbrook Abbey Press was at one time the oldest private press in England, and acquired an international reputation for fine printing under Dames Hildelith Cumming and Felicitas Corrigan. The translations of the writings of St Teresa of Avila are still in print a century after their publication. However, although digital printing and publishing continues at the Abbey on a small scale, the fine letterpress printing which made the Press famous had ceased by 1990.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

Ephemeral publications of a monastic press established in England in 1876, operated by nuns of the English Benedictine Congregation, and dedicated to the art of fine printing and perfection in typographical design. Includes several items with hand-colored illustrations. Dates in descriptions below do not appear on the items but were taken from "Books from the Stanbrook Abbey Press and the Vine Press," a pamphlet describing the Times Bookshop's exhibit of fine press materials.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte

9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
704-687-1170
spec-coll@uncc.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Other Stanbrook Abbey Press publications are located in the Rare Book Collection.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Stanbrook Abbey. Press.

Subject(s)

  • Illumination of books and manuscripts, English
  • Printed ephemera

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Publications 1959-1960 

Scope and Contents note

Includes: "Arbor Vitae" and "Unfoldment," two poems from The Path to Peace by Siegfried Sassoon, with rubricated initial (1959, 1960); "Awaitment," poem by Siegfried Sassoon, with rubricated initial (1960); "For a Wedding Anniversary," lines from a poem by George Wither, with burnished gold initial by Margaret Adams (1963); "Lines Found on an Old Church Bell at Chester"; "Saint Aelred's Prayer," by Saint Aelred; "Ten Rules for the Spiritual Life," Diadochus of Photike, translated by Sebastian Bullough. Illuminated by H. and M. Adams. (1959)

SFC1 39

Publications--Oversize 

Scope and Contents note

Includes "Jesus Dies upon the Cross" by Monsignor John O'Connor. Title and author's name in red; initial in gold leaf with hand-painted miniature of Christ on the cross.

OF1 1