J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Lyda Caldwell Wilson papers
Table of Contents
- J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
- Wilson, Lyda Caldwell
- Lyda Caldwell Wilson papers
- Date [inclusive]
- circa 1929-1945
- 4.0 Items
- Manuscripts [Box]
- The collection consists of the following items: 8-page handwritten description of the home (n.d.); 2-page typed history of the home (ca. 1929); proposed bylaws (1940); and unsigned carbon copy of "Certificate of Amendment to the Charter of Charlotte Crittenton Home" (1945).
Preferred Citation note
Lyda Caldwell Wilson Papers. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Lida Caldwell Wilson (1892-1980) was a daughter of Queens College president and well-known Presbyterian minister Dr. John Livy Caldwell. She was a direct descendant of two men of importance to the history of Mecklenburg County and North Carolina, Dr. David Caldwell and Rev. Alexander Craighead. Before her marriage, Lida Caldwell Wilson taught at Queens College, where she taught German and acted as secretary to the college president. She had a keen interest in civic and church affairs, and the Wilson home at 1400 Queens Road became a popular meeting place for church functions and civic organizations. Mrs. Wilson was described by her friends as being a person who believed you had to take life as it came, and just go on with it. They saw her as a woman who was sensitive to the needs of other people and enjoyed doing kindnesses when she found opportunities.
Scope and Contents note
Records of the North Carolina Florence Crittenton Industrial Home, Charlotte, kept by Wilson, a member of the board of directors. Wilson was the daughter of Dr. John L. Caldwell, president of Queens College (1911-16) and great-great-great granddaughter of the Alexander Craighead, minister of Rocky River (1758-60) and Sugaw Creek (1758-66) Presbyterian churches. Her husband, George E. Wilson Jr., was mayor of Charlotte (1929-31) and they were charter members of Myers Park Presbyterian Church. Their home at 1400 Queens Road (built in 1927) was among the first in Myers Park. (See article from Charlotte Observer, March 20, 1980, in collection file.)
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open for research.
Legal Status note
Copyright not held by UNC Charlotte Library.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of the estate of Senator Martha Evans.
Controlled Access Headings
- National Florence Crittenton Mission.
- Charlotte (N.C.)
- Wilson, Lyda Caldwell
8-page handwritten description of the North Carolina Florence Crittenton Industrial Home undated
2-page typed history of the North Carolina Florence Crittenton Industrial Home circa 1929
proposed bylaws 1940
unsigned carbon copy of "Certificate of Amendment to the Charter of Charlotte Crittenton Home" 1945