Accessibility Navigation:

St. Mark's Episcopal Church Records

Filing title: 
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Records

Records of St. Mark's Episcopal Church
MS0084

Summary Information

Repository
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Creator
St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Mecklenburg County, N.C.).
Title
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records
ID
MS0084
Date [inclusive]
1904-1940
Extent
0.25 Linear feet 28 items, including 5 volumes
Location note
Long Creek Community (N.C.); Mecklenburg County (N.C.)
Language
English
Abstract
Selected records and histories of a northern Mecklenburg Co. congregation, founded in 1884. Includes minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Women's Auxiliary and Women's Guild; a church history by Bishop Joseph Blount Cheshire Jr. (1927); and an address about Cheshire by Judge Heriot Clarkson (1933).

Preferred Citation note

St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

St. Mark's Episcopal Church was founded in 1884 under the guidance of Joseph Blount Cheshire, rector of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Charlotte and later bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina. A church building was erected in 1886-87, which is listed as a local historical landmark (see report on church in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports). The women of the church were formed into two groups, the Auxiliary and the Guild. The Auxiliary performed social services and works, while the Guild concerned itself with the physical maintenance of the church. Although the groups shared a common membership, they maintained separate sets of officers. The groups participated in variety of money-raising events to fund their particular projects; a common project for both groups was selling their hand-made quilts and sponsoring bazaars.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection contains minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Women's Auxiliary and Guild; a church history; and an address by Heriot Clarkson at St. Mark's in 1933. The St. Mark Episcopal Church Records are organized in a single, alphabetical folder title series.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte

9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
704-687-1170
spec-coll@uncc.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of St. Mark's Women's Auxiliary and Guild, 1983. Gift of William K. Blythe, 1987. Gift of Tom Nisbet, 1989.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports (Mss 77): St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Episcopal Church--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County.
  • St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Mecklenburg County, N.C.).

Personal Name(s)

  • Cheshire, Joseph Blount, 1850-1932
  • Osborne, Edwin Augustus, 1837-1926

Subject(s)

  • Women in church work--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County
  • Women in the Episcopal Church

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Address of Justice Heriot Clarkson 1933

Scope and Contents note

copy of Clarkson's address at St. Mark's for the unveiling of memorial tablet to Rt. Rev. Joseph Blount Cheshire Jr. and Rev. Edwin Augustus Osborne on November 26, 1933.

1 4

"St. Mark's Church, Mecklenburg County: Its Beginnings, 1884-1886" 1927

Scope and Contents note

reprint of church history written by Joseph Blount Cheshire Jr.

1 3

"St. Mark's Episcopal Church: A Parish Profile" 2001

1 5

Women's Auxiliary 1904-1940

Scope and Contents note

includes 4 ledgers of minutes, reports, receipts, and financial accounts (unfoldered) and 1 folder of miscellaneous accounts and receipts.

Box
1
Folder
1

Return to Table of Contents »


Women's Guild 1935-1940

Scope and Contents note

Minutes and financial records

Box
1
Folder
2

Return to Table of Contents »