Accessibility Navigation:

Hugh Torrance House & Store, Inc. Records

Filing title: 
Hugh Torrance House & Store, Inc. Records

Records of Hugh Torrance House & Store, Inc.
MS0157

Summary Information

Repository
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Creator
Boyte, Jack O. (Jack Orr), 1920-2005
Creator
Boyte-Williams Architects.
Creator
Hugh Torrance House and Store (N.C.).
Title
Hugh Torrance House & Store, Inc. records of incorporation
ID
MS0157
Date [inclusive]
1974-1996
Extent
2.0 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract
Records of an organization established in 1977 to preserve the northern Mecklenburg County home of Hugh Torance (1743-1816), which was built in the 1770s or 1780s. Includes information on the history and restoration of the house, board minutes, financial records, correspondence, legal documents, fund raising material, and photographs.

Preferred Citation note

Hugh Torrance House & Store, Inc. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

The Hugh Torance House and Store, located at 8231 Gilead Road in Huntersville, is the oldest existing mercantile building in Mecklenburg County, dating from the late 18th century. The house and log store were built in phases. The original log structure, which later became the store, is believed to have been built around 1780, with a storage addition made around 1787. Hugh Torance bought the property in 1779 and moved his family into the log building in 1787. He built the federal-style, two-story addition, of the building in 1796. Hugh's son, James Galbraith Torrance (he changed the spelling of the family name), opened a dry goods store in the log structure portion in 1805. He operated the store until 1825, when the contents were purchased by Samuel McCombs of Charlotte. By that time, James had acquired all of the Mecklenburg County holdings of his father, who died in 1816. [For additional information about the family and the property, see folder 2:1 in this collection; the Torrance and Banks Family Papers; and the survey and research report on Cedar Grove and the Hugh Torance House and Store in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports.] The Hugh Torance House & Store, Inc., a non-profit corporation, was established in 1977 in order to carry out the intent of an easement granted that same year to the Mecklenburg Historical Association by the property's owners, Richard T. and Belle P. Banks. The corporation's primary roles include oversight of the restoration of the property, maintenance and operation as an historical site, and the promotion and encouragement of historical research of the house and store. Through the acquisition of grants and other monies, the restoration of the property was completed in 1989. The Hugh Torance House and Store, as well as the adjacent Cedar Grove plantation home, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and have been designated local historic landmarks through the recommendation of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. [Files related to the corporation are also available in the Mecklenburg Historical Association Records, which are also a part of the UNC Charlotte Manuscript Collections.] A grist and saw mill was built by James Torrance in 1844-1846; located on Gilead Road, west of Huntersville, N.C.; previously the site of a mill built 1824-1825; only the stone foundation of the later mill survives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection is comprised of the official archives of the Hugh Torance House & Store, Inc., which include incorporation records, board minutes, correspondence, financial and fundraising records, notes concerning the architecture of the restoration, publicity papers, photographs, and more.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

When the first accession was processed in 1999, it was arranged in a single series of alphabetized files. Another accession, which came to the UNCC Special Collections at a later time, had to be integrated into the collection; a process that necessitated the formation of a more sophistocated arrangement.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte

9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
704-687-1170
spec-coll@uncc.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Hugh Torance House & Store, Inc., 1988, 1992, 1999. Gift of Carolyn Nelson, 1989. Gift of Helen Kinney, 1993.

Processing Information note

Processed by Robert A. McInnes, 1999, 2006; encoded by Robert A. McInnes, September, 2006.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Hugh Torrance House and Store (N.C.).
  • Mecklenburg Historical Association.
  • Torrance Mill (Mecklenburg County, N.C.).

Personal Name(s)

  • Torrance, Hugh, 1743-1816
  • Torrance, James, 1784-1847

Subject(s)

  • Buildings--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County
  • Flour mills--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County--History
  • General stores--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County
  • Sawmills--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County--History

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Blue prints and plans 

Map-case Drawer Folder

Plat Plan: survey of property 1985 

3 10 4

Blue Prints circa early 1980s 

Scope and Contents note

Drawings by architect Jack O. Boyte for restoration work

3 10 4

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Folder

Correspondence 1974-1998 

Scope and Contents note

Primarily correspondence among board members, as well as with the Mecklenburg Historical Association and the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.

1 14-15

Dedication 1989 April 21 

1 16

Docents 

1 17

Financial Records 

Box Folder

Fundraising 

1 18

Attic Sale 


    Box Folder
Mixed materials   1 18
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   1 19

Scope and Contents note

Relates to a fundraiser held to secure funding in order to continue restoration efforts

Box Folder

Contributions 

1 20

Grant applications-State Grants Program 

1 21-22

Invoices and receipts for general expenses 

1 23

Tax Returns 1976-1990 

1 24

Treasurer’s Notes 

1 25

Treasurer’s Reports 

1 26

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Folder

Guest Registry 1988-1992 

1 27

Historical Research 

Box Folder

Research 

2 1-2

Archeological Survey 1985 

2 2-3

Ledger Transcription 

2 4-5

Return to Table of Contents »


Hugh Torance House, Store and Mill 

Box Folder item

Hugh Torance House and Store prior to restoration undated 

PL 8 3 1-3

Hugh Torance House and Store after restoration undated 

PL 8 3 4
Box Folder

Torrance Mill 1977-1978 

Scope and Contents note

Information on the grist and saw mill built in the 1800s by James Torrance, located on Gilead Road, west of Huntersville, N.C. (only the stone foundation of the later mill survives today).

2 11

Return to Table of Contents »


Incorporation 

Box Folder

Articles of Incorporation 

1 1

Board of Directors - Officers - Comittees 

1 2

Bylaws 

1 3

Deed of Easement 

Scope and Contents note

(See also plat plan in MC 3.10.4) Internal Revenue Service

1 4

IRS Correspondence 1990 December-2000  

Scope and Contents note

Material relating to the organization's application for federal tax-exempt status.

1 5-6

Tax-free 501 (c) (3) Status 

1 7

Membership Records 1977, 1979, 1982-88, 1990-95, 1997-98 

Scope and Contents note

Includes lists of board of directors, committee members, and general membership rosters.

1 8

Minutes of Meetings 1977-1998 

1 9-13

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Folder

Miscellaneous 

2 6

Photographs 

Box Folder item

Hugh Torance House and Store before restoration circa 1978 

P32 2 1-4

Hugh Torance House and Store during restoration 1981 February-circa 1983 

P32 2 5-15

Cedar Grove 1986 January 22 

Scope and Contents note

Male members of the HTH&S

P32 2 16

Cedar Grove Board meeting 

Scope and Contents note

Members: Robin Brabham, Roy Bradley, Dick, Banes, Jim Hunter, Tom Lane, Jim Nicholson & Cecil Gadsden.

P32 2 17-18

Hugh Torance House and Store during restoration undated 

P32 2 19-26

Hugh Torance House and Store after restoration, 1991 April 

P32 2 27-45

Hugh Torance House and Store on clean-up day 1992 April 

P32 2 46-49

Hugh Torance House and Store undated 

P32 2 50

Letitia Torrance and Dr. Edward Samuel Bratton 1847 September 

Scope and Contents note

[Black and white photograph, painted in color.

Conditions Governing Access note

Courtesy of Historic Brattonville: Do not provide copies].

P32 2 51

Black and white photographs of the Hugh Torance House and Store prior to restoration 

Scope and Contents note

Photos made for Jack Boyte, restoration architect.

P32 2 52-68

Hugh Torance House and Store after restoration. 

P32 2 69

A ledger book undated 

Scope and Contents note

robably nineteenth century, probably owned by Hugh Torance.

P32 2 70

Contact prints of an archeological dig, conducted by Robin Rhodes circa 1985 

Scope and Contents note

These photos have their own numbering scheme, which is separate from that of the UNCC Special Collections.

P32 2 71-130
Box Folder Photographs-Prints

Open house of Hugh Torance House and Store 1981 November 1 

Scope and Contents note

Belle Banks and Mary Louise Davidson on steps going into store

P32 2 P157/131

Reception--Hugh Torance House and Store 1981 November 1 

Scope and Contents note

Mary Louise Davidson and Jean Dunbar Murray at reception at the Bank's home held for the dedication ceremony

P32 2 P157/132

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Folder

Publicity 

2 7

Regional History Site Program Restoration 

2 8

Restoration 1980, 1983, undated 

Scope and Contents note

Includes design proposal and schedule for restoration work. [See also Blue Prints]

Box Folder

Invoices and receipts for architectural and construction costs 

2 10

Architect – Boyte-Williams 

2 9

Return to Table of Contents »