Accessibility Navigation:

Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records

Filing title: 
Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records

Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records
MS0248

Summary Information

Repository
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Creator
Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Mecklenburg County, N.C.).
Title
Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) records
ID
MS0248
Date [inclusive]
1817-1970
Extent
3.0 Linear feet circa 250 items, including 55 volumes
Language
English
Abstract
Records of the one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in Mecklenburg County, including minutes of the Session (1843-1959); records of the treasurer (1817-73, 1940-56); minutes of the Board of Deacons (1954-58); and minutes and accounts of the Ladies Missionary Society (1876-1917), Girls Aid Society (1880-90), Sunday School secretary (1905-39), Women's Auxiliary (1922-46), Ella Houston and Lynn Moore Circles (1929-34), Bible Class (1938-39), and Women of the Church (1955-69). Also includes the farm diary (1903-13, 1920) of member A. W. Alexander.

Preferred Citation note

Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Huntersville, N.C.) Records. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Hopewell Presbyterian Church was founded in 1762. The first congregates met in the home of Richard Barry and then in a log cabin built in 1765. The first installed pastor of Hopewell was the Rev. Samuel Craighead Caldwell, who became pastor of both Hopewell and Sugaw Creek Presbyterian churches in 1792. In 1831, the current sanctuary was completed and is listed as a local historical landmark (see survey and research report in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports). The Ladies Missionary Society was organized "On Saturday preceding the 1st Sabbath of May 1876 [May 7, 1876]" by the women of the congregation. Around 1917, the group became known as the Woman's Auxiliary. The Women of the Church, as the organization is now known, and its predecessors organized the various women's circles (for example, Ella Houston and Lynn Moore) and collected funds for charitable organizations. [For more information, see Charles William Sommerville, The History of Hopewell Presbyterian Church: For 175 Years From the Assigned Date of Its Organization, 1762 (1939) and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission survey and research report on the church (1987).]

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection contains eight Books of Session Minutes (1843-1959), which include church membership lists, baptismal records, and minutes of the meetings. Also includes church treasurer's records, Sunday School Record Books, and minutes, membership lists, and financial accounts of the Ladies Missionary Society, the Woman's Auxiliary, and the Women of the Church.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

The Hopewell Presbyterian Church Records are organized in a single, alphabetical series by folder title.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte 1998

9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
704-687-1170
spec-coll@uncc.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Loan by Hopewell Presbyterian Church, 1997.

Processing Information note

Processed by Robin Dorfer, October 1998.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmark Commission Reports, survey and research report on Hopewell Presbyterian Church (UNCC Manuscript 77 H665).

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Hopewell Presbyterian Church (Mecklenburg County, N.C.).

Geographic Name(s)

  • Mecklenburg County (N.C.)--History
  • Rural Hill Plantation (N.C.)

Subject(s)

  • Church buildings--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County
  • Farm life--North Carolina--Mecklenburg County
  • Farmers--North Carolina--Diaries
  • Presbyterian Church--North Carolina--History
  • Presbyterian women--North Carolina
  • Women in the Presbyterian Church--North Carolina

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

BIBLE CLASS (1938-40) [1 volume]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 2 24

Scope and Contents note

Contains attendance records

Return to Table of Contents »


CORRESPONDENCE AND MEMORABILIA


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 8

Scope and Contents note

Includes transfer letters for various church members and an obituary of the Rev. Charles Williams Sommerville, former pastor of Hopewell and author of the aforementioned The History of Hopewell Presbyterian Church.

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

DEACON MEETINGS (1954-58) [1 volume, unfoldered]

Scope and Contents note

Contains minutes

3

Return to Table of Contents »


ELLA HOUSTON CIRCLE AND LYNN MOORE CIRCLE (1929-34) [2 volumes]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 25-26

Scope and Contents note

Contains member lists and minutes

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

FARM DIARY (1903-13, 1920) [1 volume, unfoldered].

Scope and Contents note

Contains the diary of church member A. W. Alexander

3

Return to Table of Contents »


GIRLS AID SOCIETY (1880-90) [1 volume]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 16

Scope and Contents note

Includes minutes and records

Return to Table of Contents »


HOPEWELL COPPER MINES (1861-73)


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 7

Scope and Contents note

Contains receipts and letters referring to the Hopewell Copper Mining Company.

Return to Table of Contents »


LADIES MISSIONARY SOCIETY (1876-1917) [7 volumes]

Scope and Contents note

Contains minutes and treasurer records

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

SESSION MINUTES (1843-1959) [8 volumes, unfoldered]

Scope and Contents note

Contains minutes and member lists

3

Return to Table of Contents »


SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD BOOKS (1905-39) [23 volumes]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 2 1-23

Scope and Contents note

Contains records kept by the secretary of the Sunday School

Return to Table of Contents »


WOMAN'S AUXILIARY (1922-46) [6 volumes]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 17-22

Scope and Contents note

Contains minutes and treasurer records

Return to Table of Contents »


WOMEN OF THE CHURCH (1955-70) [2 volumes]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 23-24

Scope and Contents note

Includes member lists, minutes, and treasurer records

Return to Table of Contents »


TREASURER'S RECEIPTS AND RECORDS (1817-73, 1940-1956) [3 volumes in folders 4-6]


Box Folder
Mixed materials 1 1-6

Scope and Contents note

Oldest records are papers and account books of James Galbraith Torrance, Thomas M. Kerns, and Adam Brevard Davidson, all of whom served as treasurers of the church. Among the receipts is the first one (10-21-1821) related to a building at Hopewell and the earliest known document (8-29-1833) about the current sanctuary. Davidson's account book (1840-69), which he used primarily in his role as treasurer, also contains entries for his plantation, Rural Hill.

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

TREASURER RECORDS (1950-56) [1 volume, unfoldered]

Scope and Contents note

Contains account ledger

3

Return to Table of Contents »