J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Inventory of the Providence Baptist Church papers
Table of Contents
- J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
- Providence Baptist Church (Charlotte, N.C.).
- Providence Baptist Church papers
- Date [inclusive]
- 1.0 Linear foot
- The collection is a small assortment of papers mostly generated by Selby Daniels, who was a member of Providence Baptist Church, in the late twentieth and early twentieth-first centuries.
Preferred Citation note
Providence Baptist Church papers. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Selby Daniels, the complier of this collection, was a history enthusiast whose interests primarily concerned Abraham Lincoln and local history in and around Charlotte, North Carolina. As an amateur historian, he also collected (among other things) notes and documents concerning the history of Providence Baptist Church, where he was a member. Daniels owned a construction business in Charlotte known as AMK Trim, Inc. He died in 2009.
The Providence Baptist Church traces its origins to 1953 when a small group of Baptists in southeastern Charlotte, North Carolina began meeting in “the hut,” a structure owned by Dr. and Mrs. L.F. Baumgardner on Meadowood Lane. The meetings were originally held for the purpose of determining the level of interest in establishing a new Baptist congregation in that part of Charlotte. By the latter part of 1953, these meetings included full-fledged church services with Sunday school classes. By early 1954 it became clear that there was sufficient interest and participation to establish a new church. Soon, the fledgling congregation had to move into a larger facility and began meeting in Eastover School. On Sunday, May 23, 1954, eighty-eight members of the newly formed “Providence Baptist Church” met to formally constitute the new congregation. After that, membership increased steadily over time. In its formative years, the ministerial duty of supplying the pulpit was fulfilled by a number of Baptist ministers in the Charlotte area who took turns preaching to the new congregation. PBC called its first full-time pastor, Reverend H. Gordon Weekly, in December of 1954. When the time came to plan for the purchase of land and construction of a church building, the Mecklenburg Baptist Association initially offered to the PBC a four-acre tract on Providence Road. As the congregation deemed this property to be too small for their needs, they decided to decline the offer. Instead, they decided to purchase an eight-acre tract located at the corner of Randolph and Hunter roads. The Mecklenburg Baptist Association provided most of the money for the purchase, with the rest of it coming from a bank loan. Once they had acquired sufficient property for a church building, the elders began making plans for the design and construction of a fellowship hall. This building was completed in February of 1955 and an additional wing was completed the following summer. The following year, PBC bought a house on adjacent property to use as a temporary educational annex. The debt on the building construction and new property purchase was retired by the end of 1957. Additions to the church building came rapidly and within a few years, BPC became one of the largest Baptist churches in the North Carolina. By the mid 1960s, PBC initiated the process of establishing another congregation, located at the corner of Carmel and Sharon View roads. This new church congregation took with it about one hundred members from PBC. The Carmel Baptist Church soon grew to become one of the larger suburban churches in the area. Even with this partial transferral of membership, PBC continued to grow and eventually needed more building space. By the time Pastor Weekley resigned in late 1967, PBC’s membership had surpassed one thousand. PBC called Pastor William Henry Crouch to fill the pulpit in October of the following year. Over time, PBC continued to purchase adjacent parcels of land and construct building additions. By the time of its twenty five year anniversary in 1979, it had twenty five acres and a sanctuary that could hold a thousand people. Moreover, it also led to the founding of a second church—Sharon Baptist Church, in 1971; and a third one—Candlewyck Baptist Church, in 1979.
Scope and Contents note
The Providence Baptist Church records contain a small assortment of papers mostly concerning the history of this congregation, plus a file concerning the ideals of and historical origins of a Baptist subgroup known as the Southern Baptist Alliance. The materials in this collection date from the founding of this church in 1954, to 1988.
There are only ten files of material in this collection and they are arranged chronologically. The first nine concern (either directly or indirectly) the history of the Providence Baptist Church of Charlotte, North Carolina. The tenth and last file in this collection contains material concerning the Southern Baptist Alliance—a group within the Southern Baptist Church that was opposed to the fundamentalist faction within that denomination.
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte 20099201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Purchased from the estate of Selby Daniels, in August of 2009.
Processing Information note
Processed by Robert A. McInnes.
Related Archival Materials note
Selby Daniels Papers, Mss 211.
Controlled Access Headings
- Providence Baptist Church (Charlotte, N.C.).
- Southern Baptist Alliance.
- Southern Baptist Convention.
- Charlotte (N.C.)--Religion
- Daniels, Selby A.
- Baptists--North Carolina--Charlotte
Providence Charter Members 1954
“The First Decade”, by Martha Strawn Dey 1954-1964
Yearbook – 10th Anniversary Edition 1964
New Member Handbook 1966 (photocopy)
“A Five Year History, 1964-1968”, by Mrs. Thomas Burnett 1964-1968
History Committee. Minutes March 1, 1978
Church Directory – 25th Anniversary, 1954-1979 1979
Providence Baptist History Notes (1 of 2) 1979
Providence Baptist History Notes (2 of 2) 1985
Southern Baptist Alliance 1988