J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Barbara Perzel papers
Table of Contents
- J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
- Perzel, Barbara
- Barbara Perzel papers
- Date [bulk]
- Bulk, 1970-1974
- Date [inclusive]
- 14.0 Items .01 linear feet
- Mixed materials [Box]
- Mixed materials [Box]
- Small array of papers (fourteen items) generated by Barbara Perzel, a real estate agent who worked in the Charlotte area in the 1970s, and was especially knowledgeable about the Elizabeth neighborhood in Charlotte, NC.
Preferred Citation note
Barbara Perzel Papers. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Biographical note: Barbara Perzel was a real estate agent who worked in the Cornelius-Huntersville area of North Carolina; but at one time had real estate interests in the Elizabeth neighborhood of Charlotte. [Sources: Barbara Perzel Papers, Mss 424, University of North Carolina Charlotte Library Special Collections.] Historical note: Elizabeth was one of Charlotte’s first suburbs, and was developed beginning in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It was developed on Charlotte’s east side, and followed in the design footsteps of the Dilworth neighborhood, on the south-side. In June of 1891, ten investors from Charlotte convened to establish the Highland Park Company. Initially, they planned to each invest $50,000 to purchase and develop land that would target middle-class prospective homeowners. By 1894, the investors realized that the $50,000 initiation fee was too great for most of them, and the price was reduced to $17,500. This real estate development corporation purchase a little more than 152 acres of land from Joseph Shannonhouse, John White and Elizabeth White. One of the selling points for residential lots in this area was the fact that there were no factories, or railroads or other influences that would make for a noisy or dirty environment. Originally, the neighborhood that developed in this area was known as Highland Park. Exactly when its identity changed is uncertain, though it very likely came about as the result of the establishment of a women’s college in the region: Elizabeth College—a women’s Lutheran school. However, the board of directors decided to relocate to Virginia in 1917. The college ended up selling its land to Mrs. William H. Belk and the newly established Presbyterian Hospital for a combined amount of over $200,000. Elizabeth was at first outside of the Charlotte city limits until 1908. Even so, the developers made good on a promise to provide electric, water, and sewer utilities and trolley service. In spite of the fact that this new development was close to an urban area, it preserved a special and green atmosphere through deed restrictions that determined the size of the lots and how close structures could be built to a property line or street. Lot prices, also determined by deed specifications, made for a very diverse community, with lot prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. [Sources: Rogers, John R. and Amy T. Rogers, Charlotte: Its Historic Neighborhoods, Arcadia Publishing, Dover New Hampshire, 1996 ; Barbara Perzel Papers, Mss 424, University of North Carolina Charlotte Library Special Collections.]
Scope and Contents note
This small assortment of papers from Barbara Perzel was generated as the result of her work in real estate in the Elizabeth neighborhood of Charlotte, NC in the early 1970s. The collection provides a small amount of documentation concerning some of the people who lived in that area and their residences around 1974.
Arranged chronologically in a single series.
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte February 20109201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Barbara Perzel first donated these papers to the Levine Museum of the New South, in February of 2010. Later than month, Dr. Thomas Hanchett of the LMNS, donated the papers to the UNC Charlotte Special Collections.
Processing Information note
Processed by Robert A. McInnes.
Related Archival Materials note
Ed Perzel Papers, Mss 349.
Controlled Access Headings
- Charlotte (N.C.)
- Perzel, Barbara
- Real estate business--North Carolina--Charlotte
- Women in business
Official Zoning Map, City of Charlotte 1962-1974
Property Appraisal, for property owned by Gordon T. Finger 1973 April 20
Newspaper, The Charlotte News, “Elizabeth: a neighborhood changing” 1973 September 14
Obituary for J. Grove Pardee 1973 November 20
Obituary & property appraisal, re: Mrs. Morella P. Jansen 1974 October 25
Newspaper clipping (house for sale), re: the house of Fred Thompson 1974 October 29
Obituary for Clyde J. Johnson 1974 October 29
Obituary for Mrs. L.E. Brown 1974 November
The Elizabethan (newsletter), Vol. 1, No.2 1974 November
“The Genesis of the Elizabeth Neighborhood,” by Edward S. Perzel circa 1974
Charlotte City Directory page - Clement Avenue 7 circa 1974
Residential notes circa 1974
Newspaper, The Charlotte News, “Elizabeth: a neighborhood changing.”--Oversize 1973 September 14
Official Zoning Map, City of Charlotte--Oversize 1962-1974