J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
Papers of James H. Evans
Table of Contents
- J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte
- Evans, James H., d. 1865
- James H. Evans papers
- Date [inclusive]
- 2.0 Items
- Dimensions note
- Both items measure approximately 4" x 3".
- Mixed materials [Box]
- This collection of two items (a diary recorded in 1864 and 1865, and a New Testament) were the property of James H. Evans, of Company F, 7th Wisconsin Volunteers. Evans was taken prisoner and incarcerated at the POW Camp in Salisbury, NC. He died on January 28, 1865.
Preferred Citation note
James H. Evans collection. J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
According to Joe Huygens, who sold us this collection, James Evans was captured at the Battle of the Wilderness, and was first sent to the prison camp at Andersonville, and later was sent to Salisbury, NC. According to entries that Evans made in his diary, he was "Sworn into the Service of the United States" on February 6, 1864. Company F, 7th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 5th Corps. Friday, March 4, 1864: "Left Madison foe the Regiment I arrived at Chicago 8 o'clock pm" Sunday, March 6, 1864: "Arrived at Baltimore in the morning stayed over night" Monday, March 7, 1864: Arrived at Washington in the afternoon, stayed over night"
Scope and Contents note
The collection concerns James H. Evans; Company F, 7th Wisconsin Volunteers, US Army; and the POW camp at Salisbury, NC in 1864. Contains a diary, recorded in 1864 and early 1865, and a New Testament, provided by the Confederate Bible Society.
J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, UNC Charlotte 2011 October 259201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC, 28223
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Processing Information note
Processed by Robert A. McInnes, 2011.
Controlled Access Headings
- Bible Society of the Confederate States of America.
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1865).Company F--Diaries. -- Diaries
- Salisbury Prison (N.C.)--Sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons--Sources
- Evans, James H., d. 1865 -- Diaries
- Prisoners of war--North Carolina--Salisbury Prison--Diaries
- Soldiers--North Carolina--Salisbury Prison--Diaries
- Wilderness, Battle of the, Va., 1864
Diary 1864 1.0 Items
Scope and Contents note
The contents of this diary records Evans' life in a Confederate POW camp in Salisbury, NC in 1864 and early in 1865.
New Testament 1.0 Items