Horse- and mule-drawn streetcars first appeared in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1887. In 1891 the animal-powered cars were replaced by electric trolleys running on expanding routes. By the early part of the 20th century, new tracks had opened new neighborhoods to development including Elizabeth and Myers Park. The last of the trolleys, Streetcar No. 85, was retired in March 1938.