To share our resources in a fair manner by which many people benefit, recalls are allowed to insure that all borrowers have access to our materials. When recalled items are returned late, it prevents other students and faculty from getting materials needed for research, for papers, and for class assignments.
- Recalls may be placed on any regular circulating item that is currently checked out to another user.
Currently, all recall requests can only be made by staff via:
- Phone 704-687-0491
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-person at the circulation desk
- When a recall is placed a notice is sent to the patron who has the item
The patron with the item will receive a new due date
- All patrons are guaranteed 21 days to use the item
- If the recall is placed after 21 days of checkout the patron will be asked to return the item within 5 days
- If the recall is placed during the 21 day checkout period the patron with the item will be asked to return the item at the end of the 21 days.
The library uses holds as a way of allowing patrons to request items. When an item is requested using the "request item" button in the catalog a hold is generated for the item. If the item is available it will be retrieved by library staff and made available to the requesting patron. If the item is checked out to another patron the hold request will be fulfilled when the item is returned.
Pick Up Notices or Delivery Sent Notices will be mailed as soon as the hold request is processed.
You have several options if you cannot find an item on the shelf :
- Check online or at the Circulation Desk to make sure the item is not checked out to another user. If it is checked out, you may place a recall on the item.
- Staff will recheck the location of the item and that you were looking in the correct location.
- If an item has been checked in during the last 24 hours, it will have the status of "Being Reshelved." Ask the staff at the Circulation Desk to check the location and time of return; they may be able to access this material for you before it is reshelved.
- If the item cannot be located, Circulation Staff will initiate a search for you.
- If found, students will be notificed by email for pick up and faculty/staff will have it delivered.
- We will search for 2 weeks --- the status of "Missing" will be placed on the item if not located immediately, and will continue to be search for one year.
- If the item is not located, you may request it through Inter-Library Loan.