The Colvard Building opened in 1979. It was named after Dean Wallace Colvard, UNC Charlotte’s first chancellor in 1966. Dean Colvard was born July 10, 1913 in Grassy Creek, North Carolina. To learn more about Dean Colvard, visit Special Collections.
When we turn over the past in our hands, breathe it in, feast on it with our eyes, we develop a better understanding of the present, and quite possibly, a more profound appreciation for the forces that shape our future. For a sensory journey of this sort, start in UNC Charlotte’s Atkins Library Special Collections, located on the 10th floor.
Through J. Murrey Atkins Special Collections, the online exhibit The President Comes To Town: Presidential Visits to Charlotte was created in the fall semester of 2010. Graduate Assistant Evan Faulkenbury, under the guidance of Katie McCormick, Assistant University Librarian for Special Collections, researched and constructed this project as part of a physical exhibit within the J. Murrey Atkins Library.