J. Murrey Atkins Library supports the community in the creation of oral history interviews that capture facts, events, and memories from the perspective of individual Charlotteans and their family members, in their own words and with their own voices. With a little knowledge and planning, these interviews can be archived by the family for future generations so that descendants can learn about their forebears in a uniquely personal way.
To support individuals and families in our region who wish to preserve their family histories in this way, J. Murrey Atkins Library is pleased to offer a new Oral History Philanthropy Program to patrons and friends. For a donation of $1,500, a graduate student or volunteer, supported by Atkins Library staff, will conduct a 45-minute oral history interview with the donor or his/her designee and provide personal assistance and guidance in how to preserve the recording for future generations.
Below are some facts about the Oral History Philanthropy Program:
- Each oral history interview project requires a donation of $1,500 to the J. Murrey Atkins Library.
- Oral history interviews may be gifted to friends or family members.
- Prior to conducting the oral history interview, the interviewer will consult with the participant regarding the focus of the oral history and topics to be covered.
- The interviewer will suggest interview questions that are tailored to each participant.
- Participants may also provide questions and/or topics for the oral history interview.
- The interview will be recorded with high-quality sound recording equipment.
- Donors and interviewees will receive their own digital copies of the completed oral history interview with instructions on how to preserve it for future generations.
- Interviewees will retain copyright in the recordings, with the possibility of a license to the library for future preservation and research.
- Donations will support the J. Murrey Atkins Library at UNC Charlotte and are tax deductible as allowed by law. The estimated value of the oral history provided by the J. Murrey Atkins Library in exchange for your gift is $75. Under current tax laws, only the amount of your contribution that exceeds the amount of the goods/services provided to you is tax deductible as a charitable contribution. Donors are encouraged to consult with their legal, tax, and financial advisors prior to making a donation.
For more information on the Oral History Philanthropy Program,
contact Todd Marrs at 704-687-5957 or email@example.com