- Research & Course Help
Expanded TEACH Checklist
A. General: Threshold Eligibility Questions
1. Are you an accredited, nonprofit educational institutional or governmental body?
2. Do you have an institutional policy(s) that addresses the use of copyrighted materials and promotes compliance with U.S. copyright law?
No: Develop one
3. Do you provide educational resources to your campus that accurately describe copyright rights and responsibilities?
No: See Using Copyrighted Works; Copyright Basics;
B. Eligible Works: Types and Amounts
1. Is the work a digital educational work, i.e., a work produced or marketed primarily for performance/display as part of mediated instructional activities transmitted via digital networks?
2. Is the work lawfully made and acquired?
Don't Know: Would a reasonable evaluation indicate the origin of the work to be questionable? Is so, stop.
3. Is the work:
4. Amounts allowed:
1. Is the transmission of the work limited, as technically feasible, to students enrolled in the course?
2. Have you implemented reasonable measures to prevent unauthorized further dissemination in accessible form by the recipients?
E. Conversion: Analog to Digital
1. Is there a digital version of the work available to the institution?
Yes: Is the digital version technologically protected to prevent TEACH uses?
Yes: Conversion of analog to digital permitted but cannot circumvent digital protection measures
No: Conversion of analog to digital not permitted
Digital version not available: Conversion of analog to digital permitted
F. Notice to Students
1. Is there a notice accompanying the work notifying students that the work may be protected by copyright?
No: Put one on; see example