- Research & Course Help
- About Us
WELCOME TO THE J. MURREY ATKINS LIBRARY! DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT US?
• Open 24 hours Sunday night through Thursday night; 24/7 during exam week.
• The Charles C. Hight Architecture Library is our first branch library.
• Has a total staff of 87 employees; including 30 faculty members
• Member of the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL).
• The only full U.S. Patent and Trademark Depository in western North Carolina.
• Access to 216 computer workstations and 60 lending laptops which have productivity software.
• Wireless access on all floors.
• The Writing Resource Center satellite office opened in October, 2008.
• Key statistics for the 2010/11 academic year:
- over 1,330,000 visitors (...and growing).
- over 135,000 items circulated.
- over 40,000 research questions answered (32 in-person; 8 digital)
- taught 4350 bibliographic instruction sessions to 9,030 students.
- 17 Group Study Rooms used by 96,000 students.
• 24/7 access through Library's website.
• Over 45,000 electronic journals and approximately 350 journal access databases (most in full text)
• Atkins Express – Your Library: Delivered. A Book and Article Delivery Program, accessible via our website.
• Access to approximately 55,000 electronic books
• Course Reserves: Web-based reserves system providing 24-hour access to Course Reserve materials.
GENERAL COLLECTION INFORMATION
• Holds over 1,087,000 volumes and approximately 47,000 unique print and electronic serial subscriptions.
• Strengths include: Applied Mathematics, NASA Collection, Late 19th century/early 20th world atlases, Business, Engineering, History, English and Religion
• Depository for: US. Federal and N.C. state documents; U.S. Patents and Trademarks; Records of the United Nations
• Map Collection contains over 52,000 maps
SERVICES (for a listing of ALL Library Services, click here)
• REFERENCE DESK: Your source for getting personal, expert help from Librarians for research assistance
• INFORMATION DESK: Helpful staff to assist with general inquiries
• PRESENTATION SUPPORT DESK: Staff provides software and hardware technology assistance with Library’s computers, Digital Media Lab and classrooms.
• CIRCULATION DESK: Staff assists with lending of library materials, laptops and equipment (such as iPods, data projectors and digital cameras)
• RESERVES DESK: Staff offers research assistance and provides materials placed on reserve by instructors
• RESEARCH DATA SERVICES: Provides access to Geographic Information System software and extensive data resources
• INSTRUCTIONAL SERVICES: Classes offered for Information Literacy and Research Instruction
• INTERLIBRARY LOAN: Provides materials for borrowing from other libraries' collections
• GROUP STUDY ROOMS: 16 rooms, with online booking available
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (to visit Special Collections, click here)
• 8,939 book volumes and 7,710 individual titles available
• 1,800 oral history interviews recorded
• 399 manuscript collections and approximately 6,239,000 individual manuscripts
• 4,244 linear feet of University Archive materials
• The oldest book in Special Collections is John Chrysostom’s Sermones Joh[ann]is Crisostomi de patientia Job (the Sermons of Job), published in 1471.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE (for more University information, click here)
• A public institution founded in 1946.
• Reclassified in 2000 by the UNC Board of Governors as a Doctoral/Research Intensive institution.
• The fourth largest university of the 16 campus University of North Carolina system.
• Total 2009/10 enrollment is 24,700 students, with projected enrollment of 35,000 by 2020. Has over 900 full-time faculty.
• Offers 90 Bachelor's Degree programs, 62 Masters Degree programs, and 18 Doctoral Degree programs.
• 7 academic colleges are: Arts + Architecture, Business, Computing & Informatics, Education, Engineering, Health & Human Services, Liberal Arts & Sciences.
• Founded the Charlotte Research Institute, NC Motorsports and Automotive Research Center, UNC Charlotte Urban Institute, Institute for Social Capital.
• Is located in Charlotte, the largest metropolitan area between Washington DC and Atlanta and the 2nd largest banking center in the U.S.