Open access publishing of scholarly work assures research is available online at no cost for the reader and increases the dissemination of ideas to improve our global society. Unlocking unnecessary paywalls to influential research not only increases the impact of research conducted at UNC Charlotte, but supports information equity for people around the world.
Atkins Library at UNC Charlotte regards Open Access publication of scholarly works as a foundational aspect of a sustainable communication system for scholars and researchers.
To support this idea, we provide the following services to researchers on campus related to both publishing in open access journals (Gold OA) or depositing work in Niner Commons (Green OA):
- Education and Support
- Understanding author’s rights and publishing agreements
- Identifying reputable Open Access publishing opportunities
- Informing about Open Access requirements of granting agencies
- Hosting outreach events on the benefits of Open Access.
- Open Access Article Publication Subvention Fund - This is a fund to assist UNC Charlotte authors across campus with the cost of article processing charges (APCs).
- Niner Commons - We provide our community with access to Niner Commons, an Open Access platform to disseminate the scholarship created by UNC Charlotte researchers. This platform hosts all of UNC Charlotte’s theses & dissertations, as well as peer reviewed journal articles, conference proceedings, working papers, videos, open education resources (OER), research data and more.
- Digital Publishing - Atkins library provides a platform and digital publishing services of scholarly works including online journals, eBooks, digital exhibits, and conference proceedings.