Location: Atkins Library, Ground and 2nd Floor
Hours: See the Atkins Library Hours Calendar
Open to all current students, faculty, and staff
How can I use them?
The microfilm/microfiche readers are available on a first-come first-serve basis during regular library hours. You can ask for assistance from the Technology Support Desk on the 2nd floor.
First, log in to the computer with your NinerNet credentials. If the program doesn’t launch automatically, doubleclick the PowerScan 3000 software icon on your desktop.
Next, select the type of media you are using.
- Pull the film tray out and put the microfiche between the glass, face up.
- Push the tray back in.
- If the film is mostly black, choose “Negative Fiche Sample.”
- If the film is mostly clear, choose “Positive Fiche Sample.”
- Select the film type from the screen and pull out the reader tray.
- Load the microfilm according to the tutorial.
- Manually roll the free end to take out the slack, and push the tray in.
- On the screen, use the slow fast forwarding option. Click and hold it to move through the film.
- Once the image is on the computer screen, move the tray so the image is within viewing range.
- Click the “Adjust” tab. Auto adjust will work for most items, though you may choose to use others.
- Click “Manual Straighten” to straighten the page.
- Use the green page outline to select the elements of the page you wish to save.
- Click the “Adjust” tab and “Rotate 90” to rotate the image.
- Click the “Adjust” tab and “Mirror” if the image is reversed.
Under the “Output” tab, click “Print” or “Save.” Pages are able to be saved to a USB drive.
Pull the tray out and take out the microfiche.
- Pull the tray out.
- Click “High Speed” rewind.