Book Move and Renovation Update
- As earlier announced, to provide adequate social distancing and additional space for study and research, UNC Charlotte is moving most of the periodicals collection and 70% of the print collection currently in Atkins Library to an offsite storage facility located 15 minutes from campus in Concord.
- As we continue moving materials to the offsite storage location, areas on the 2nd and 3rd floors that are cleared of shelving will be inaccessible during renovations. Through March 31 those floors will undergo repainting, recarpeting, and the installation of new seating for students to use beginning April 15.
- Information about browsing and requesting materials can be found in the Print Collection Offsite Storage FAQ.
- Beginning January 19, our hours will be: Monday - Thursday 8:00 am until 9:00 pm, Friday 8:00 am until 7:00 pm, Saturday 11:00 am until 5:00 pm, Sunday 1:00 pm until 9:00 pm.
- Chat and other virtual services are available for those working and learning remotely.
- Special Collections and University Archives: Beginning on January 19, the Dalton Reading Room will be open by appointment (for UNC Charlotte students, faculty, and staff only). To make an appointment or for other inquiries, please contact us. Faculty can schedule a virtual instruction session by contacting Randi Beem at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Laptops will be available for check out for the Spring semester on January 13-15 (pickup by appointment only, contact email@example.com) or anytime after the library opens on January 19. Laptops will be available for short and long term loans, as needed. Students can request a due date that meets their needs, as late as May 13, 2021.
- Beginning January 26, Hight Architecture Library will be open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Entry into Storrs Hall may be limited to CoA+A students, staff, and faculty at certain times during the semester. When planning a visit, please check for updates to Storrs Hall building access by checking the website, calling the Architecture Library at 704-687-0885, using Library Chat, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Interlibrary Loan Office will reopen for online service on January 4. Full ILL services will return on January 19.
- Beginning Wednesday, January 20, Atkins Library will be open to Friends of Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte alumni, emeritus faculty, retirees, and cooperative borrowers. Members of these groups may enter the building 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Community members may join the Friends of Atkins Library with a donation of $49 or more.
Atkins Library Safety Standards
- We recognize that the risks and concerns of the pandemic do not affect everyone equally. It’s normal to experience anxiety regarding returning to campus during the pandemic, particularly for those who may have underlying health concerns. Library staff and faculty are committed to optimizing your safety while in Atkins Library, the Hight Architecture Library, and other library facilities. If you have any issues or concerns, please reach out to us via email at email@example.com or by calling 704-687-0491 and we will do our best to identify a suitable solution.
- Atkins Library will adhere to UNC Charlotte’s public health protocols with respect to safety and screening measures. We will implement additional measures to safeguard health and safety in the library environment.
- Library users are required to maintain six-foot separation and to wear masks at all times while in the library.
- Security guards will be posted at library entrances to ensure that entering users adhere to all safety requirements; security will also circulate through the building to enforce the policies. Users who do not comply will be asked to leave the building for the rest of the day.