Atkins Library security staff is on duty when the Library is open. The Security Office is located on the main/first floor of the library, beside the entrance and directly across from the Popular Reading area. The security staff oversees card access to the building, manages lost and found items, and performs regular patrols of the building to ensure the safety of students and staff.
A crucial responsibility of the security staff is the management of the Library’s security and surveillance systems. Atkins is equipped with 84 cameras spread throughout the building, which are constantly monitored by the security staff. While not police officers, our security staff works closely with campus police to ensure people in the library are safe and secure.
Library Security Office: 704-687-1120
Meet Atkins' Security Team
What To Do In Different Scenarios
- If you have had something stolen, report it to our security staff as soon as possible. The Library’s security cameras may assist us in catching the thief and returning stolen property to its owner.
- Report suspicious activities in the Library to our security staff through the Chat feature on the bottom of the Atkins website.
- Request assistance through Chat if you have problems with noise or other disruptions of your study environment.
- If anyone has made you uncomfortable with threatening behavior, unwanted attention, sexually inappropriate behavior, etc., contact our security staff through the Chat feature on the Atkins website (please include your name and location), or call the Security Office at 704-687-1120. If you feel unsafe, immediately go to the Security Office or the nearest service desk.
- In a dire situation such as a medical emergency or physical assault, contact Campus Police (704-687-2200) or report it through the LiveSafe App. In emergency situations, calling Library Security or 911 could slow down the process
Security Tips and Reminders
- Never leave your personal items unattended. We appreciate that you feel safe when using the Library, but there is always a risk that someone will take your possessions if you leave them sitting out.
- Walk with a friend when coming to and leaving the Library. Use well-lit paths and stay alert to your surroundings. Don’t talk on or use your phone when walking; phones can distract you and make you vulnerable.
- Lost and found items are logged and kept in our security office. Contact our security staff for inquiries about lost items; we will do our best to locate your item if possible.