Open Access publishing often comes with the cost, known as an Article Processing Charges (APCs). These charges can range from $200 - $5000. To help cover the cost of these fees there are organizations, including the library, that will provide funding.
- Funding Agencies
You can insert open access funding into your grant proposal writing. There are many places to search if you are seeking funding.
Federal Grant Funding Agencies:
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- National Endowment for the Humanities
State Grant Funding Agencies:
Many public funding agencies have a public access policies stipulating that published material be made publicly available.
You can search for your funding agency's policy in the SHERPA Juliet database or the Registry of Open Access Repositories Mandatory Archiving Policies (ROARMAP).
UNC Charlotte's Office of Proposal Development provides resources and guidance to faculty interested in exploring research grants.
- Atkins Library Open Access Publishing Fund
We established the Open Access Publishing to help faculty and graduate students fund APCs. Here is some helpful information for users looking to apply for these funds:
- The fund is available to Faculty and Graduate Students who have submitted their articles to fully Open Access Journals and have been unable to secure funding elsewhere.
- For a journal to be eligible, it must meet the following criteria
- Peer reviewed, Indexed by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), or published by a reputable OA publisher
- Have policies and practices consistent with the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association Code of Conduct (http://oaspa.org/membership/code-of-conduct/)
- Make their standard fee schedules publicly accessible
- Waive their fees in cases of financial hardship
- The library can decide not to fund APCs based on predetermined criteria at its discretion.
- Hybrid journals, or journals that have both open access articles and paid subscriptions will not be funded.
- Funded articles must be placed in Niner Commons upon publication.
- Funds are limited to $1000 per article, and one article per year submitted by a faculty member.
- The library asks that funding requests be submitted only if funding is needed during the current fiscal year.
- Funds are limited and once the fund has been expended new funds will not be available until the next fiscal year.
- Due to limited funds, authors are only allowed one award per fiscal year.
To apply for funding please complete the OAAPSF application form.
If you have any questions about the fund please contact Liz Siler, Collection Development Librarian.
- Article Processing Fee Deals and Discounts
We have negotiated some discounts for APCs with journal publishers that we have journal subscriptions with.
- SAGE Publishing - Authors will receive a 10% discount on the APC if they publish Open Access in a SAGE journal. Please contact the Collection Development Librarian for instructions on how to apply this discount.
- IGI Global - We have limited amount of funds with IGI Global which will cover the cost of the APC for publishing an article Open Access.
- Cambridge University Press - For calendar year 2021, Cambridge University Press will not charge UNC Charlotte authors Article Process Charges as part of our new Read and Publish Deal.
- Karger Publishers - As part of the our Read and Publish deal with Karger Publishers primary authors from UNC Charlotte will be eligible to publish their article open access. Publishers will need to opt out of this option if they choose not to publish open access.
If you have any questions about these deals and discounts please contact Liz Siler, Collection Development Librarian.